Spin Fun Knowin' Ya!
|Spin Fun Knowin' Ya!|
|Date||December 24, 1999 (Mondo)|
February 28, 2008 (YouTube)
September 20, 2008 (YouTube, Special Pop Corn Video)
December 15, 2008 (Atom)
June 6, 2013 (YouTube, HD)
|Production number||101 |
"Spin Fun Knowin' Ya!" (sometimes referred to as "Spin Fun Knowin Ya") is the first episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series and the opening of Season 1. It was the first to introduce Cuddles, Giggles, Toothy, and Lumpy. It would also serve the basis of the cellphone game Spin Fun.
Happy Tree Friends website: The gang has fun that keeps coming back around.
Happy Tree Friends website (Giggles Episode Guide): Spin Fun is the very first Happy Tree Friends episode! This show introduces the core character group and also sets up the theme of "innocent mayhem" that runs throughout the entire series. Lumpy is spinning the gang on a merry-go-round, only to have things spiral out of control. A clip of this show was seen in Jennifer Aniston's movie, "The Good Girl." 
YouTube: The episode that started it all! Take a wild ride and let the mayhem begin!
The episode starts with Cuddles, Giggles, and Toothy on a roundabout being spun by Lumpy. Cuddles asks Lumpy to spin it faster. He agrees, so he spins the roundabout faster and faster, which causes the kids to get excited. Toothy then flies out of the roundabout and is killed when he hits a tree. Giggles tries to hold on the bar of the roundabout, but it breaks off. Giggles then lands onto a tree stump, impaling her. Cuddles tries to hold on the bars as well, but he gets his arms ripped from the bars due to the extreme speed, and he then lands into the propellers of an airplane.
Lumpy then gets tired and realizes that all the kids are dead. He then leaves while whistling.
"Don't forget to Floss!"
- Toothy flies off the roundabout and the force causes him to smash into a tree, killing him.
- Giggles flies off the roundabout, and the force causes her to smash into a tree stump.
- Cuddles flies into the propellers of an airplane.
- Cuddles holds onto the roundabout bars, which goes so fast that it rips his arms off.
- Amount of surviving main characters: 1
- Amount of dead main characters: 3
- Total rate: 25%
- One of the poles of the roundabout flies off when Giggles tries to hold onto it.
Quick shot moment
- When Lumpy is continuing to spin the roundabout after the kids fell off it, there is a quick shot of Giggles persevering onto the bar. This scene is not present in future releases of the episode.
- In earlier versions of the episode, Cuddles has white cheeks at the beginning rather than his pink cheeks.
- When Giggles is turned around, her left ear is purple.
- Giggles is missing her teeth in her intro, when she is riding the roundabout, and when she dies.
- The back of Cuddles, Giggles, and Toothy's ears have holes when it should be in the front.
- When Toothy dies, his tail is missing.
- Even though Cuddles' hands were ripped and gripped on the roundabout, his arms and hands are still seen when the airplane's engine shreds him.
- Despite one of the poles breaking, they are all are present on the roundabout.
- Cuddles' ripped off hands are facing the wrong way after he dies.
- Lumpy's antlers change directions in a continuous shot when he turns away.
On the Happy Tree Friends Volume 3: Third Strike DVD, there is a bonus feature named Vision-O-Rama. It lets the viewer see the same episode but from the perspective of the characters, Lumpy, Nutty, Russell, the Mole, and Cro-Marmot.
- Lumpy: The video would be upside down, a likely reference to Lumpy's stupidity.
- Nutty: The video would be distorted and jumpy, a reference to Nutty's hyper personality.
- Russell: Only one half of the screen would be visible due to Russell's eyepatch.
- The Mole: The entire screen would be solid black, which references the Mole's blindness.
- Cro-Marmot: The video would have a blue tint and would get blurrier, a reference to Cro-Marmot's state of being frozen in an ice block.
Special Pop Corn Video transcript
Special Pop Corn Video!
Hide and seek is the number eight cause of accidental deaths among small animals
Falling from trees is number four
The number one cause of death is...
Bullets coming out of guns at very high speed!
Cuddles likes to wear bunny slippers
Toothy has had tail enlargement surgery
Lumpy is thinking about candy!
The North American beaver can't fly...
...or go through trees!
80% of children hug playground equipment for dear life
This stunt took 23 takes!
Cuddles' thumbs are backward
No They're NOT!
Heavy breathing in...
Rabbit's feet are considered good luck!
Cuddles has gone on to star in a series of straight-to-video Ninja movies called "Paws Of Fury". Toothy is currently wanted in 7 states for impersonating a dentist. He was last seen in Ohio. Giggles has written a tell-all autobiography called "Tears Behind the Giggles". Lumpy went on to sponsor a bill in the Senate banning the parking of commercial planes near playgrounds. To this day 5 lives have been saved.
- 6 Lives
References in later episodes
- "Blast from the Past": When Sniffles destroys all the playground equipment, Lumpy and the children find a roundabout that Cuddles, Giggles, and Toothy ride. The events from "Spin Fun Knowin' Ya!" are repeated.
- "All Work and No Play": A destroyed roundabout resembling the one seen in both "Spin Fun Knowin' Ya" and "Blast from the Past" appears.
- Main article: List of Spin Fun Knowin' Ya! staff
Altered and deleted scenes
There are a few differences between the episode's storyboard and the final product.
Cold Hard Flash considered "Spin Fun Knowin' Ya!" as the second most influential Flash animation in the article "The Flash Animation 10 - Most Influential", putting it behind "This Land" by Gregg & Evan Spiridellis from JibJab Media.
- This is the only episode where Giggles lacks her head marking. It would only first appear in Helping Helps, but the Season 1 intro still shows her without it.
- Likewise, this is the only instance where Toothy has strands of hair on his head. Treasure Those Idol Moments would eventually introduce Toothy without the hair, but the Season 1 intro yet presents him with it.
- In the movie, The Good Girl, a television plays a clip from the episode.
- The original YouTube release of this short is blocked in Russia. The Special Pop Corn Video and the Classics Remastered version are exempt from this block.
- The episode on YouTube
- Special Pop Corn Video on YouTube
- Remastered version on YouTube
- The episode on Mondo Media's website
- MondoMedia's website
- Happy Tree Friends - Spin Fun Knowin Ya (Ep #1) - YouTube
- Happy Tree Friends - Popcorn Video: Spin Fun Knowin' Ya - YouTube
- Spin Fun Knowin' Ya on Happy Tree Friends
- Happy Tree Friends - Spin Fun Knowin Ya (Classics Remastered) - YouTube
- Happy Tree Friends website (pre-Atom)
- Happy Tree Friends website
- YouTube - Happy Tree Friends - Spin Fun Knowin Ya (archive from 2008)
- https://watannetwork.com/tools/blocked/#url=Vsscl6myXqI - Blocked countries: Russia