Stay On Target
|Stay On Target|
|Date||January 17, 2013|
Stay On Target is a Happy Tree Friends Flash game published on the Mondo website. It is a knife-throwing arcade game (albeit with darts instead of knives) featuring Lammy, Petunia, or Giggles as the character strapped to the spinning wheel.
Description[edit | edit source]
Take a spin with Petunia, Giggles or Lammy on the wheel of misfortune! Do you have what it takes to hit the mark?
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Stay On Target is played with a mouse. The player is given a choice of three friends (Lammy, Petunia, or Giggles) to be placed on the giant target wheel. After picking a friend, the game begins. Clicking on the play area will make the player throw the dart on the specified point. There is a short cooldown between throws, indicated by the red dart icon on the upper right corner recharging after a throw.
Small targets are placed on the wheel for the player to earn score from. Score earned depends on where on the target the dart hits. The base score is 100 points for a normal hit, 300 points for a "Great!" hit (closer to the center), and 500 points for a bullseye. A target disappears after it is hit. Clearing all targets will advance the player to the next level with a new batch of targets, multiplied (by level) score per successful hit compared to the previous level, an increased spinning speed, and a change to the spinning direction. As the player progresses through levels, the wheel may even randomly change its spinning direction mid-play.
The player is only allowed up to five blunders before the game ends. A blunder is caused by the player throwing the dart either outside the giant wheel or at the selected friend strapped to the wheel. Once the game ends, the player's total score is shown, calculated from the match score, level bonus (2,000 points per level reached), and bullseye bonus (1,000 points per bullseye hit).
Characters[edit | edit source]
The chosen friend influences the target size and formation on the spinning wheel. Lammy and Giggles share the same target size and number of targets per level (7), while Petunia has smaller targets and the most targets placed on the wheel (at 10).
Fates[edit | edit source]
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- Petunia is shown to be impaled by numerous darts on the game over screen.
Notable mistakes and errors[edit | edit source]
- The in-game logo has a stray dot on it. The dot by itself is covered by Lumpy's antler, but due to it being a part of the full logo graphic (thus sharing its graphical filters), its filter effects are still visible.
- Due to the size and position, Petunia's tail ends up drawn under the metal strap holding her wrist.
Prerelease and unused content[edit | edit source]
- Stay On Target reuses the setting from "Mime to Five". This is evidenced by the title screen reusing a scene inside the circus tent minus the center stage and attraction (the audience's seats remain, but not rendered due to being placed off-screen), with a storyboard panel of the shot placed underneath (also unrendered for the same reason). There is a second storyboard panel from the same episode, but this one is completely dummied out, only stored in the game's Flash library.
- A tip supposed to be displayed mid-game ends up unused instead. It reads, "Click to throw darts at the targets. Hit closer to the center for more points, and don't hurt the poor fellow."
A storyboard panel from "Mime to Five" hidden under the title screen.
Another storyboard panel from "Mime to Five" hidden in the game's asset library.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the first official Happy Tree Friends game to feature Lammy.
- Stay On Target is the last Happy Tree Friends web game to be released in Flash format despite other games like Happy Tree Friends: Strandead and Happy Tree Friends: Run and Bun having been released in HTML5 format earlier.
References[edit | edit source]
- Stay On Target on Mondo
- https://mondomedia.com/games/play/44/Stay_On_Target Stay On Target's description on Mondo.
- Decompiled Stay On Target Flash file.
|Happy Tree Friends Video Games|
|Home Console Games||Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm|
|Mobile Games||Blood Money • Deadeye Derby • Flippy's Flying Frenzy • Homerun • Run and Bun • Slap Happy • Spin Fun • Strandead|
|Web Games||Aggravated Asphalt • Aim to Freeze • Candy Cave • Disco Inferno • Double Vision • Fire Escape • Going Overboard • Hare Trigger • Hot Potato • Lumpy's Lame Card Trick • Milk Pong • On Thin Ice • Run and Bun • Stay On Target • Strandead • Socks To Be You • Sugar High • This Game Is All Flocked Up • Tightrope-A-Dope|