The Crackpet Show
|The Crackpet Show|
December 15, 2022
May 23, 2023
The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition:
September 27, 2023
Xbox Series X|S
Shoot 'em Up
The Crackpet Show is a game released by Ravenage Games. It is a top-down shoot 'em up presented in a roguelike format where a player or players (up to 4) playing cooperatively progress from room to room killing enemies using equipped weapons and special items helped by advantageous effects granted by perks to earn Fame for upgrades in the Campaign mode or as high score in the Endless mode. Its roguelike format means that every run is not the same, randomness plays heavily in room progression, and equipment and perks do not carry over between runs. It was originally released as an indie game for the PC running Windows and for the Nintendo Switch on December 15, 2022.
The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition is an optional downloadable content for The Crackpet Show that adds content based on Happy Tree Friends slated for release on September 27, 2023 for Windows via Steam and GOG.com and the Nintendo Switch. The game is launched with Happy Tree Friends Edition pre-installed on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5, as well as the Epic Games Store release, all slated to be released on the same date. Happy Tree Friends Edition is part of a collaboration between MondoMedia, Vixa Games, and Ravenage Games. The collaboration results in this DLC for The Crackpet Show side and an internet short for the Happy Tree Friends side titled "Too Much Scream Time". This is the second Happy Tree Friends game to be released on a major video game console since Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm in over fourteen years and it is also the first one to be released on Nintendo and Sony platforms.
Description[edit | edit source]
The following is the description specific to The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition:
Happy Tree Friends are back! Remember those rebellious days when parents forbade us from watching this cute cartoon, and we had to sneak around? Well, guess what? Now you can embrace the legendary cruelty and humor of the iconic cartoon as you play your favorite characters in The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition! Get ready to unleash chaos, earn fame, and have a blast!
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The Crackpet Show is a top-down shoot 'em up presented in a roguelike format. Up to four players can play cooperatively, each playing as one of the characters. The base version of The Crackpet Show features 8 characters, who are Bunny, Cowie, Rusty, Sharky, Crocodile, Panda, Evil Goat, and Piggy. If the player chooses, they may play a character with an alternate skin, though the skins have to be unlocked first, except for Panda, who starts out with 2 alternate skins from the start. After picking a character, the player picks a starting class, though they may mix up their loadout by dropping the chosen equipment, picking another class, and then re-picking the dropped weapon/item.
- Assault: Focuses only on damage. Comes with the Pew Gun and the Anvil Drop special item.
- Engineer: Focuses on debilitating enemies. Comes with the Zap Gun (chance to stun) and the Turret special item.
- Medic: Focuses on defensive playstyle. Comes with the Lob-o-Gun (shoots bullets in an arc) and the Bandages special item.
- Tank: Focuses on herding enemies through distraction. Comes with the Shotgun (spread shot of 3 bullets) and the Taunt special item.
Weapons are players' main method of attack. Players automatically aim for the closest enemy, though the player may change target via dedicated buttons. Each weapon behaves differently and this information can be shown by reading its description. Players start off only being able to equip one weapon, but eventually the player is allowed to bring two to switch between. A player can not be weaponless, but if this happens, the player enters the next room with their chosen class weapon.
A special item has various effects from inflicting damage to affecting enemy behavior. Like weapons, a single use of an item puts it into cooldown until it can be used again, but unlike weapons, an item has a limited number of charges before it runs out, and a player can only hold one special item at a time.
Once players are ready, they may step into the round area that says "START" to begin the game. Every time players start a new session, they are given a choice of perks to claim. Perks give advantageous effects to the affected and their effects can be stacked with each other. Only one player can claim one perk machine at a time, so if multiple players claim the same perk, they will be subjected to a button-press minigame where the winner will be the one to claim the chosen perk. In the game, the players face rooms of enemies, with some layouts having traps that can damage both players and enemies alike. Each enemy type attacks differently, but their attacks are distinguished by the use of the color red. A player starts off with six hit points, and taking any damage deducts it by one. If a player runs out of health, they will be considered dead, but in co-op, a timer will appear to give allies a chance to revive the fallen player with one hit point. If all players are dead, however, the run ends. To move on to the next room, all enemies must be killed. Doing this in co-op will also revive all fallen players with one hit point. Players' weapon and special item pickups do not carry between runs whether a previous run is a success or a failure.
The game features Campaign and Endless game modes. Campaign is the game's main story where players, whether playing solo or co-op up to four players, progress through three seasons each consisting of six episodes, for a total of eighteen episodes. Episode progress is tracked by clear completion, meaning players have to clear a new episode to unlock the next. An episode consists of a randomly-generated stage progression where players vote to pick. A stage has a random layout and typically can be either the normal Enemy, Weapon, Perk, or some other category, with any stage category other than Enemy rewarding the players depending on the stage type. For example, if the stage is a Weapon room, then a weapon is rewarded after defeating all the enemies inside. The player can also encounter minibosses starting from Episode 4 onwards, but all episodes in general end with a major boss fight.
In Campaign, players earn Fame used to obtain Upgrade Coins and Likes for purchasing at the Shop rooms. Upgrade Coins are then used in the lobby to upgrade either a weapon, an item, or a perk offered randomly. Successfully clearing an episode will earn the players Trophies and skin cards to be used to unlock Sponsor skills and the wheel of fortune respectively. Sponsors are where the player can unlock additional features and gameplay advantages, but the player also has a choice to not assign a Sponsor skill once it is unlocked. Meanwhile, the wheel of fortune is used to unlock alternate skins for the playable characters, but it takes 5 skin cards per use and the skin rewarded is random.
The Endless mode is available once the player cleared Season One. The players will start off in the lobby like in Campaign, but with the Sponsors and upgrades unavailable. However, every player is able to equip two weapons and find hearts occasionally dropped from enemies to heal without using Sponsors. Every player is also given a perk to increase damage and movement speed at the start. Endless mode has players face waves of various enemies. Every 10 waves, the player faces a random boss. As the mode goes on, the enemies gradually grow stronger, but the likeliness of epic weapons and special items to drop are also gradually increased. The mode only ends if all players are dead.
Happy Tree Friends Edition content[edit | edit source]
The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition features the following content:
- 9 playable Happy Tree Friends characters, each with unique death animations inspired by the most memorable scenes from the show:
- Lumpy as a host of the show.
- Enhanced sounds and music from the cartoon.
- Updated visuals and effects.
- Other features.
* - debut as playable character
System requirements[edit | edit source]
For the Windows version, the minimum system requirements are:
- OS: Windows 7
- Processor: 2.0 GHz Processor
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX compatible graphics
- DirectX Version: Version 11
- Storage: 2 GB available space
Recommended system requirements:
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: 3.0 GHz Processor
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX compatible graphics
- DirectX Version: Version 12
- Storage: 4 GB available space
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite Flaky's color scheme being entirely red, which is the color scheme for enemy bullets, she was picked to be included in Happy Tree Friends Edition. Vixa Games eventually realized this mistake, but reassured that Flaky would not be removed.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Sup animal-freakshow-lovers @everyone! 👋 Today, May 23, The Crackpet Show is OUT on GOG! 🎉 Enjoy the show here: https://www.gog.com/game/the_crackpet_show " (armoredamelle (05/23/2023), #announcements, Vixa Games Discord server)
- The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition on Steam
- The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition on GOG.com
- The Crackpet Show for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site
- The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition - PlayStation Store
- The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition - Epic Games
- The Crackpet Show on Steam
- chainknuckle on Instagram - "WHO DIS? NEW EPISODE! There's a BRAND NEW Happy Tree Friends short entitled, "Too Much Scream Time" starring our favorite father and son duo! In collaboration with the folks at Ravenage for the upcoming the Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition! https://youtu.be/Up9NHS3Xb7Y The game and episode are both out on Sept 27th!"
- The Crackpet Show - The greatest crossover of all time! - Steam News
- "Haha, that's why some rules like reserving colors for certain elements come in handy, so that there's no overthinking. Everything looks different in motion. (: I consider adding Flaky a small fuckup, but who knows - if there won't be any complaints about her getting lost, we might consider adding other red characters like Splendon't in the future." (klaudzia (09/01/2023), #general-chat, Vixa Games Discord server)
|Happy Tree Friends Video Games|
|Home Console Games||Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm • The Crackpet Show: Happy Tree Friends Edition|
|Mobile Games||Blood Money • Deadeye Derby • Flippy's Flying Frenzy • Homerun • Run and Bun • Slap Happy • Spin Fun • Strandead|
|Web Games||Aggravated Asphalt • Aim to Freeze • Candy Cave • Disco Inferno • Double Vision • Fire Escape • Going Overboard • Hare Trigger • Hot Potato • Lumpy's Lame Card Trick • Milk Pong • On Thin Ice • Run and Bun • Stay On Target • Strandead • Socks To Be You • Sugar High • This Game Is All Flocked Up • Tightrope-A-Dope|